Healthy People provides science-based, 10-year national objectives for improving the health of all Americans. For 3 decades, Healthy People has established benchmarks and monitored progress over time in order to:
- Encourage collaborations across communities and sectors.
- Empower individuals toward making informed health decisions.
- Measure the impact of prevention activities.
What is Healthy People 2020?
Healthy People 2020 continues in this tradition with the launch on December 2, 2010 of its ambitious, yet achievable, 10-year agenda for improving the Nation’s health. Healthy People 2020 is the result of a multiyear process that reflects input from a diverse group of individuals and organizations.
A society in which all people live long, healthy lives.
Healthy People 2020 strives to:
- Identify nationwide health improvement priorities.
- Increase public awareness and understanding of the determinants of health, disease, and disability and the opportunities for progress.
- Provide measurable objectives and goals that are applicable at the national, State, and local levels.
- Engage multiple sectors to take actions to strengthen policies and improve practices that are driven by the best available evidence and knowledge.
- Identify critical research, evaluation, and data collection needs.
- Attain high-quality, longer lives free of preventable disease, disability, injury, and premature death.
- Achieve health equity, eliminate disparities, and improve the health of all groups.
- Create social and physical environments that promote good health for all.
- Promote quality of life, healthy development, and healthy behaviors across all life stages.
Four foundation health measures will serve as an indicator of progress towards achieving these goals:
- General Health Status
- Health-Related Quality of Life and Well-Being
- Determinants of Health
It’s important for ALL Americans to know and understand how Healthy People 2020 can help the health and well-being of this nation. For more information and details of Healthy People 2020, visit http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/default.aspx
We owe it to our families, friends and communities to learn and implement the topic of Healthy People 2020.
“Eat Healthy, Live Healthy”