If you’re looking for a GREAT ab workout, these are my top 5 favorite from FitnessMagazine.com…
The Side Crunch
- Kneel on the floor and lean all the way over to your right side, placing your right palm on the floor.
- Keeping your weight balanced, slowly extend your left leg and point your toes.
- Place your left hand behind your head, pointing your elbow toward the ceiling.
- Next, slowly lift your leg to hip height as you extend your arm above your leg, with your palm facing forward.
- Look out over your hand while bringing the left side of your rib cage toward your hip.
- Lower to your starting position and repeat 6 to 8 times.
- Do two sets of 6 to 8 reps, and then switch sides.
- Sit tall on the mat with your knees bent by your chest and your hands at your sides.
- Lie down with your knees bent and your palms facing down.
- Exhale and raise your head and shoulders off the mat.
- Vigorously pump your arms 6 inches up and down, reaching with your fingertips.
- Inhale for 5 pumps, then exhale for 5 pumps. Be sure to curl your chin in toward your chest.
- Do 100 pumps, or 10 full breaths.
- Try to keep your lower back pressed in toward the floor and keep your lower abs pulled in toward your spine. You should keep your abs engaged this way throughout the workout.
Opposite Arm and Leg Raise
- Begin on all fours, aligning your knees under your hips and your wrists under your shoulders.
- Raise your left arm to shoulder height and your left leg to hip height.
- Hold for 2 counts, reaching forward with your fingers and back with your heels.
- Repeat this exercise on the opposite side.
- Do 15 to 20 reps, alternating sides.
- For a bigger challenge, touch your opposite elbow to your knee as you pull your arm and leg in.
The Climb Up
- Start by lying on the floor with a 3-foot-long scarf or towel wrapped around the ball of your right foot, knees bent, left foot on the floor.
- Hold the scarf in both hands, and extend your right leg, keeping your foot flexed.
- Slowly walk your hands up the scarf as you lift your head and shoulders off the floor. Hold for a count of 2.
- Now lower yourself back to the starting position, walking your hands back down the scarf.
- Do two sets of 8 to 10 reps on each sides Be sure to keep your head neutral — don’t tuck your chin or tilt back.
The Prone Plank
- Get into a full pushup position with your palms on the floor beneath your shoulders.
- Hold here for 30 seconds, with your abs contracted and your arms and legs extended and your head aligned with your spine.
- As you build strength, hold this position longer, up to one minute.
- Go deeper: Try the one-arm stable switching plank.
I hope you find these ab workouts helpful. Just add them to your normal workout routine and you’ll see a difference in no time. Don’t forget to stretch before and after all workouts… Let’s workout!!!
“Eat Healthy, Live Healthy”